Fat grafting, also known as fat transfer or fat injection, has emerged as a valuable adjunct to facelift procedures, offering a comprehensive approach to facial rejuvenation. This innovative technique involves harvesting fat from one area of the body, purifying it, and strategically re-injecting it into various facial regions to complement and enhance the results of a facelift. Here is how fat grafting can complement and augment the outcomes of a facelift procedure performed by Dr. John Anastasatos at Los Angeles Plastic Surgery.
Benefits of Facial Fat Grafting
As individuals age, they often experience volume loss in their face, resulting in a hollow or sunken appearance. A facelift primarily addresses skin tightening and repositioning of the underlying tissues but does not specifically address volume loss. Fat grafting supplements a facelift by restoring lost volume, particularly in areas like the cheeks, temples and under-eye hollows. Injecting purified fat into these regions enhances facial contours and achieves a more youthful and natural appearance. Some of the other benefits of fat grafting during or after a facelift surgery include:
- Improved Skin Texture and Quality: Fat contains stem cells and growth factors that promote tissue regeneration. When injected into the face, it not only adds volume but also improves skin texture, tone and quality. The injected fat can stimulate collagen production, leading to smoother, rejuvenated skin that complements the tighter and lifted facial contours achieved through a facelift.
- Enhanced Facial Symmetry and Balance: Fat grafting allows for precise sculpting and reshaping of facial features, helping to correct asymmetry and restore facial harmony. By strategically placing fat grafts in areas that require augmentation or balancing, Dr. Anastasatos can achieve more symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing facial proportions, complementing the results of a facelift.
- Longer-Lasting Results: While a facelift addresses sagging skin and tissue, the natural aging process continues over time, leading to ongoing volume loss. Fat grafting, when combined with a facelift, can provide longer-lasting results. The transferred fat establishes a permanent presence in the treated areas, contributing to sustained facial volume and rejuvenation.
- Customization and Precision: Fat grafting offers a personalized approach to facial rejuvenation. Surgeons can tailor the procedure to address specific areas of concern, meticulously placing fat grafts in precise locations to achieve optimal results. This customization allows for a more natural-looking enhancement that complements the overall facelift outcome.
- Natural and Safe Option: Since fat grafting uses the patient’s own tissue, it is a safe and natural option for facial rejuvenation. The purified fat contains live cells that integrate well with surrounding tissues, reducing the risk of complications or adverse reactions commonly associated with synthetic fillers or implants.
Fat grafting on its own is minimally invasive and typically performed using small incisions. As the fat is harvested from the patient’s own body, there is minimal risk of allergic reactions or rejection. The procedure involves minimal downtime and discomfort, allowing patients to resume normal activities relatively quickly. When performed during a facelift procedure, there is no additional downtime required.
Before considering a combined approach of facelift and fat grafting, individuals should consult Dr. John Anastasatos at Los Angeles Plastic Surgery. A thorough evaluation and discussion of goals will ensure an individualized treatment plan that maximizes the benefits of both procedures, resulting in a harmonious, natural and comprehensive facial rejuvenation. To schedule your facelift consultation with world-renowned plastic surgeon Dr. John Anastasatos, call our office in Beverly Hills or Athens, Greece.